Latest Updates News | Hot News | Sports News

20 May 2010

Q & A With Indian Racer Ajith Kumar

Indian racer talks of his targets for Marrakech and his motivations for the season ahead


Following a solid opening weekend at Silverstone, South Indian film star Ajith Kumar took time out whilst on a short break in Chennai to reflect on his opening weekend, and to look ahead to the forthcoming round at Marrakech.

Kumar not only met his target of finishing both races and gaining valuable seat time in the two UK races, but significantly also improved between each session as he continues to acclimatise to the Williams JPH1B F2 car.

Ajith, who scored two podiums in his last full season of motorsport in the British F3 National Class, admitted he was looking to continue such improvements at the Marrakech City Circuit this weekend, and remained hopeful that his participation in F2 would only help boost the profile of motor racing in his home country.

What is your assessment of yourself and your performance after the first two races?

My main agenda for the race weekend at Silverstone was to finish both the races and gain as much track time as possible in the car. I was pleased with my performance in the second qualifying session, and race one also went very well. In race two my car had a problem with the turbo - around the 17th lap the engine lost revs completely. I had no other choice but to continue and finish the race, and in the process I finished 2 laps down.

What do you forecast at Morocco? What will be your strategy there?

Morocco as you know is a street circuit. I will have to study the circuit and understand from my race engineer what the best setup for the car should be. My strategy for Morocco will be to try and bridge the gap between the frontrunners and myself.

What is the kind of encouragement you receive from people like Jonathan Palmer and Piers Hunnisett?

Mr Jonathan Palmer has been very supportive. He is closely monitoring my progress, and can offer valuable tips and advise after sessions. Most importantly he understands my passion for the sport and how important it is to take this sport to the rural areas in developing countries like India.

Mr Piers Hunnisett, who is a successful race car driver himself, handles my racing programme and career. He takes care of logistics for - travel plans, accommodation, licensing, insurance coverage for both car and driver and PR in UK. He also provides driver coaching. Having Piers for help is a god send. I thank my friend Narain Karthikeyan for getting Piers on board.

Obviously your enthusiasm for racing has increased for you to get back to active racing. What is your main motivating factor?

Motorsports in India has definitely come a very long way, with two drivers from India making it to F1 (Narain Karthikeyan and Karun Chandhok), and Mr Vijay Mallya owning India's first Formula One (Force India). Hopefully India will also host an F1 event in 2011! It's time the sport reached the masses and the rural areas, and I hope that my mere participation helps that happen.

What is the kind of support you have been getting from your family?

My family understands how much I love this sport. The very fact that they have accepted my decision to participate in a very fiercely competitive championship like Formula Two speaks volumes for their support. My family and I strongly believe that life is not about winning or losing. It's about following our hearts and living our dreams!

What is your target as you progress through the various rounds?

My target is to do the best I can in terms of my own abilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment